Charles Loring Elliott, Portrait of Matthew Vassar, 1861

In the News

Photographer Duane Michals to speak at Vassar College, April 27

Duane Michals, celebrated photographer and noted artist, will speak on Thursday, April 27, at 6 p.m. in the Taylor Auditorium at Vassar College. His talk is supported by the Smart Family Foundation, Inc., in conjunction with the exhibition "Making Light: Wit and Humor in Photography," at Vassar's Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center through June 11.

The subject of a one-man exhibition at Pace-MacGill Gallery in New York this winter, Michals' work may be seen in museum collections throughout the world. He has published over 25 books, including "Sequences," "Real Dreams," "Album: The Portraits of Duane Michals," "Eros and Thanatos," and "The Essential Duane Michals."

After working in the art and publicity departments of such mass market publications as Dance and Time, Michals first took up photography during a brief visit to Russia in 1958. Since the 1960s, he has pursued parallel careers as a commercial photographer, known for fashion and entertainment features, and as a fine artist whose deceptively simple portraits and hand-inscribed photo-narratives have brought psychological depth and poetic invention to a medium widely associated with literal description.

Inspired by Walt Whitman's poetry and paintings by René Magritte. Michaels has commented that "Photographers are always photographing the package. But they would never think to open up the box. Well, I'm interested in the contents because once you start opening up the box, it's like a Chinese box, there's always another box inside. My version of reality means I believe in the tears, I believe in the reality of anxiety."

The Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday, 1 to 5 p.m., but will remain open until 6 p.m. on the day of Michals' talk. Admission is free and the Art Center is wheelchair accessible. For additional information, call the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center at (845) 437-5632.

Posted by Office of Communications Thursday, April 27, 2000

Hours

Mon Closed
Tue 10am-5pm
Wed 10am-5pm
Thu 10am-9pm
Fri 10am-5pm
Sat 10am-5pm
Sun 1pm-5pm

Closed Easter, Thanksgiving, and from Dec. 22 through Jan. 15.

Print Room - Students & Public

Wed 3pm-5pm
Fri 2pm-4pm

Otherwise by appointment.

Late Nights

The Art Center stays open late Thursdays 5-9pm. Enjoy extended gallery hours in an enlivened atmosphere with creative happenings every week.

Admission

Admission is free and open to the public. All galleries are wheelchair accessible.

Group visits are welcome. To schedule a reservation, please contact:

Coordinator of Public Education and Information

(845) 437-7745

Contact

The Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center

124 Raymond Ave Box 703
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604
Get directions

Send email via contact form

Main office

(845) 437-5237
(845) 437-5955 (Fax)